Sunday, July 14, 2013

The New Digital Divide


I really enjoyed listening to how others structured their thoughts on this week's readings via voicethread. Though a fan of the digital age, I'm highly in favor of in-person conversations over online communication whenever engaged in a real discussion, as social cues and intentions often come from tone, which has always been the difficulty with messageboards, forums, and comment threads. I was happy to see that a majority took the same approach as I did, in that this new version of the digital divide is enlightening, but somewhat makes sense with what we see in our lives. That helped me consider and collect my reflections in a way that tackled the point that I wanted to make, rather than retreading too much of the same ground. Hearing a lot of what others said got me excited about one small part of what I was originally going to talk about: the opportunities present on "the other side" of the divide, and using the access that students do have. I've already started brainstorming stuff for my own classroom in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. You did a wonderful job on this assignment, Ian. I'm glad you were able to make new connections and think about your students a bit differently. Your optimism is completely contagious!

    ReplyDelete